The Power of Clarity: The Lack of Clarity Makes You Feel Unfulfilled
Over the past few months, you have been experiencing pain. Not physical pain but mental distress. At first, you give the little pain attention but as the weeks and months pass the mental pain turns into anguish. It starts affecting your work and the ability to enjoy your personal life.
You convince yourself that it’s the stress from the reorganization, it’s the new guy who is smarter than you, or it’s your sexless marriage. Your solution is to take a few days off from work, but regrettably, the mental pain only gets worse, so you begin to seek answers.
Mental pain is good. It’s your body’s natural alarm system that something is wrong. As you start investigating the source of your pain questions, begin to surface. Brendon Burchard, the author of “High-Performance Habits,” explains, “When these questions go unanswered for too long, an unraveling begins:”
- Is all the complexity I’ve created in my life even worth it?
- Is this the right direction for my family and me at this stage of our lives?
- Why am I starting to feel so distracted?
- Why am I not more confident at this point in my life?
As you answer the questions you begin to see the pattern: lack of clarity. Burchard continues, “Soon, day-to-day motivation wanes. They begin feeling restricted or unfulfilled. They start focussing on protecting their successes versus progressing. Nothing seems thrilling anymore.”
You have lost clarity in your life, and you want it back.
Clarity is not a skill that you are born with, it must be developed and sometimes re-developed. Here are three strategies that you can use to connect with your clarity:
- Ask questions designed to tease out your values, strengths, and weaknesses.
- Set end goals that will pull you to achieve them, these are goals that will stretch your strengths and expose your weaknesses.
- Set deadlines for the end goals, build in checkpoints so you can assess your progress and shift course if necessary.
As you run through the exercise, you should begin to understand what you want at this season of your life.