Your life is hectic mess of demands on your time, and in your head there is a broken record of thoughts:
- Only if I had more time, I would...
- Only if I had the right people, I would...
- Only if I had more money, I would...
The only if, I would.. syndrome seduces you into believing that you can’t do the work because you are not in the right situation.
But if I am being honest, you have the same 168 hours as:
- Tony Robbins -- who was in an abusive relationship with his mother.
- Oprah Winfrey -- who wore potato sacks as clothing because her family was poor.
- J.K. Rowling - who lived on welfare while suffering from clinical depression.
I chose these personalities not because they are rich or famous but for their extraordinary ability to change the narrative. Tony, Oprah and J.K. did not allow the only if, I would.. syndrome to dissuade them from not doing the work.
They, simply, figured out how to do what needed to be done and under the current constraints. And changed the narrative to “I need to do this and I need to do it given that.” There will always be someone that has less constraints and more resources than you.
Your job is to not give into the only if, I would.. conversation and to focus on what needs to be done in order to get the work done.